Archive for the ‘Leicestershire’ Category

Parkland surrounding Launde Abbey

Parkland surrounding Launde Abbey

Whilst we were staying at Launde Abbey, we managed, on the days when the weather allowed, to go for some walks in the deer park. As might be expected, in this type of habitat, the wildlife is not numerous especially during winter but a pair of Ravens was a pleasing find as was a Nuthatch sitting in a tree first seen by Sue. Robins and Blackbirds were most numerous species in the gardens.

Nuthatch

Nuthatch

Blackbird

Blackbird

Robin

Robin

Raven. Photo by Daniel Plumer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/dlplumer/)

Raven. Photo by Daniel Plumer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/dlplumer/)

Each evening a Tawny Owl could be heard calling from the small wood in the gardens.

One final good record was as we were leaving to return home we flushed two Fieldfares from the roadside where they had been feeding.

Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
European Herring Gull [sp] (Larus argentatus)
Stock Dove [sp] (Columba oenas)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Tawny Owl [sp] (Strix aluco)
European Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Western Jackdaw [sp] (Coloeus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Northern Raven [sp] (Corvus corax)
Great Tit [sp] (Parus major)
Eurasian Wren [sp] (Troglodytes troglodytes)
Eurasian Nuthatch [sp] (Sitta europaea)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
European Robin [sp] (Erithacus rubecula)
Common Chaffinch [sp] (Fringilla coelebs)

Some pictures of the 12th / 13th-century chapel at Launde Abbey. A wonderfully peaceful and calm place to sit and reflect in a moment of quiet,

The Chapel

The Chapel

dscn3838a

The Font

The Font

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

carving of Last Supper behind Altar

carving of Last Supper behind Altar

Memorial to Gregory Cromwell

Memorial to Gregory Cromwell

Stained Glass Window

Stained Glass Window

 

Launde Abbey

Launde Abbey

Launde Abbey, south of Oakham in Leicestershire, was founded in 1119 as a priory for a group of Augustinian Black Canons. Over the century that followed it grew as buildings were added. It originally sat in a royal forest but in the 13th century, much of the surrounding land was cleared to create a deer park.

The front terrace and the deer park beyond

The front terrace and the deer park beyond

The priory was dissolved in the mid 16th century along with many other religious houses in England by act of Henry VIII. It was given to Gregory Cromwell, son of Thomas Cromwell, chief minister to King Henry. The Cromwell family lived here for about 60 years and restored and rebuilt many of the monastic buildings turning it into a domestic dwelling.

The oldest remaining section of the house. The 12/13th century chapel on the left and the section at the front of the house icorporates elements from the house of 1550.

The oldest remaining section of the house. The 12/13th century chapel on the left and the section at the front of the house incorporates elements from the house of 1550.

 

The house as seen from the gardens

The house as seen from the gardens

It then passed through a number of different families, most notably the Smiths in the 17th century, who pulled down many of the monastic buildings and built the manor house seen today.

The stable block, now converted into additional accommodation and meeting rooms.

The stable block – now converted into additional accommodation and meeting rooms.

Some elements of the history remain from before the 17th century. One part of the house dates back to the 1550s and the chapel is 12/13th century and was a side chapel of the original priory church.

The Chapel

The Chapel

In 1957 the house was presented to the Anglican Diocese of Leicestershire and is now used as a retreat and conference centre.